Let's face it. You've got an ugly lawn. The grass is spotty, there are weeds, and nothing is edged. The problem? You don't have much of a budget for high-end landscaping. Can a landscaping service do anything to help your yard in spite of your smaller budget?
Yes! Landscaping services can help your lawn look nice again, without damaging your wallet. There are both one-time or rarely needed services that can make a big difference.
Regular Maintenance for a Healthy Lawn
One of the main reasons why your lawn doesn't resemble a lush green carpet is that you get busy. Following a strict schedule for watering and applying fertilizer make a big difference in how your grass grows. If you do it wrong or too infrequently, you're actually wasting your time and money. This is where a landscaping service can pay off, as they will schedule and take care of your needs.
- Water. You do have to manage watering your lawn yourself in most cases, as it will need to be done once or twice a week at a minimum. Your landscaper can help you set up the proper schedule for adding water. You will only need to add 1 inch at a time. Doing it right can help your lawn become stronger and better able to withstand drought and disease.
- Fertilizer. Let the landscaping experts add the right soil amendments and fertilizers to make your lawn look just as you want it. They'll know what's right for the time of year, type of grass and goals you have. At the same time that your landscaping service is adding fertilizer, they can also put on lime. Lime, or calcium carbonate, is usually added twice a year to lawns to help the roots gather nutrients.
- Mowing. Your landscapers can take care of keeping the grass the perfect length. They'll be able to set the right length for your grass so it is best able to grow roots and take in water and nutrients.
Occasional Work That Can Make Your Yard Healthy
Your yard needs good soil to be successful. Even in environments with heavy clay content in the soil or low water, you can still have a couple of landscaping services performed that will work quickly to make your soil healthy, and make an eventual difference to your grass.
- Aeration. This helps to increase drainage in the soil. It's done by removing a small plug of soil, leaving holes that can be filled in with a rich compost or other soil amendment. It can be done manually or through the use of a tool.
- Beneficial microbes. Good bacteria and fungi in the soil help plants thrive by increasing their ability to absorb water and nutrients. Various types of compost or fertilizer can improve the balance of good microbes in your soil.
None of these services are especially expensive, and can make a big difference in how your lawn looks. Contact your local landscaper, one like Four Seasons Nursery, for a quote on one-time service for improvement, and ongoing weekly or monthly maintenance work.